We can offer two different services for applying for a Grant of Probate
- Applying for the Grant
- Applying for the Grant, collecting and distributing the estate
Applying for the Grant
Sometimes you simply wish us to apply for a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration. This does not involve us collecting or distributing your estate.
Our fees £650.00 + VAT
Probate Fee - £273.00
How long will it take?
On average, estates in which we apply for a Grant only can be dealt with within 10-12 weeks, depending on any potential delays at the Probate Registry.
Applying for the Grant, collecting and distributing the estate
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter, for example if there is one beneficiary and no property, the costs will be lower. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, the costs will be higher.
We will handle the following processes for you. This quote is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 4 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are between 1 and 6 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
Our fees - £255.00 per hour + VAT
Probate Fee - £273.00
Bankruptcy Only Search - £2.00 per beneficiary
Copy of the Grant Fees - £1.50 per copy
The average cost will be £1750.00 + VAT, plus the disbursements listed above.
Should the estate be more complex, to include HMRC Inheritance Tax forms, arranging IHT loans, and dealing with more than 6 beneficiaries and/or significant number of assets, our fees are likely to be higher than this, and between £3000 to £7000 + VAT and disbursements.
How long will it take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 3-10 months. Collecting assets and distributing them often takes longer, depending on the number of assets, with collecting assets taking between 6-10 weeks and distributing normally within 2-4 weeks.
As part of our fixed-fee we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate
Standard Will - £150.00 + VAT
Mirror Will (where couples instruct us to prepare similar Wills) - £200.00 + VAT
Deed of Gift/Trust - £600.00 + VAT
Storage Fee - £10.00
You may have to pay Land Registry Registration Fee – depending on property value
If the Will you wish to have is more complex, for example to include additional gifts or gifts of property, tax advice or foreign assets, trusts for life interest or rights of occupation, then the costs will be higher and our hourly rate of £200 + VAT will apply. On average, such Wills will cost approximately £500 + VAT.
We endeavour to complete your Will as quickly as possible, often within 2-3 days.
Lasting Power of Attorney
There are two types of Lasting Power of Attorney:
- Property and financial affairs
- Health and welfare
The Lasting Power of Attorney will usually take on average 2-3 weeks to complete, with a further 6-8 weeks for the registration process.
£400.00 + VAT per Lasting Power of Attorney
If you instruct us to complete both - £700.00 + VAT
Court Fee - £82.00 per Lasting Power of Attorney
There is no requirement to register your Lasting Power of Attorney, and so the Court fee is not essential. However, we would recommend that all Lasting Powers of Attorney should be registered as they cannot be used unless registered with the Offices of the Public Guardian.
We will endeavour to keep costs to a minimum and within the quotes provided. In the instances of additional complexities, or unforeseen circumstances, we will obtain your consent before incurring any further costs, other than those provided above.
Where VAT is to be added, this will be at the applicable rate at the date on which the fee or disbursement is incurred.
Who will be dealing with your matter?
Barbara Kinsey LLB Hons (Partner) – over 25 years of experience
Peter Smith (Consultant) – over 50 years' of experience
Anthony Robins (Consultant) – over 50 years' of experience